Requirements and Instructions
- Pick up your application package from the Sheriff's Office.
- Answer all questions completely and truthfully on all forms (failure to do so may result in denial of the permit).
- You will need to complete a firearms training course and obtain your original training certificate.? Information on fees and requirements can be obtained by contacting a local certified training instructor.
- Your packet contains a form for the release of physical and mental health records for your concealed handgun permit.? This must be completed and notarized.? There will be a fee payable to a notary public.
- Your packet also contains a letter from Albemarle Mental Health explaining how to obtain your mental health records.? The Mental Health Center is located at 101 ARPDC Street in Hertford.? A copy of the release form they will have you complete is attached to the explanatory letter.? You may be required to pay a fee for their services.
- In addition to the above, a form is enclosed that will be completed by you and signed by you and one witness for the release of any records Cherry Hospital may have on you.? The Sheriff will send this form to Cherry.
- There is a form you should have your doctor complete.? If you do not have a doctor, you will need to have a standard physical examination performed at your expense so that the doctor can complete the form.
- You will be required to sign a copy of "The Do's and Don'ts of Carrying a Concealed Handgun" which will be kept in your file at the Sheriff's Office.
- You will also complete an applicant questionnaire.
- You will have to go by the Clerk's Office and obtain a criminal record check at your expense.? Note:? If you have lived in other counties in North Carolina or any other state you will also need a criminal record check from those as well.
- After you have completed each of the above steps, you may bring your completed and notarized (fee payable to notary public for this service) application along with all other completed forms and your original training certificate to the Sheriff's Office.? A non-refundable fee of $90.00 is to be paid and your fingerprints will be taken.? Fingerprint costs are $10.00 for a set of two (2) prints, exact change, no checks will be accepted.
Your application will be processed as soon as possible. You can expect this process to take a minimum of 90 days.? The Sheriff's Office will contact you upon receiving your Concealed Weapon Permit.
If you have any further questions regarding the concealed handgun permit application process you may call our office at 252-426-5615 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.